A nostalgic look back at our favorite hockey hero's who wore the red, white and blue for the Rangers during the 1960's,70's and 80's.
In episode 37 we update the impact of Covid -19 on the Rangers and the rest of the NHL during the upcoming 24 team playoff format. Tom, Rob and Special guest Mike Browning also recap and discuss the career of one of the most talented and gritty Right Wingers in Rangers history # 28 Tomas Sandstrom.
* Will the NHL be able to salvage the remainder of the 2019-20020 season with an innovative 24 team playoff format and if so what will it look like ?
* What are the implications on Players contracts, free agent status , next seasons salary cap and the upcoming draft ?
* Who accepts the Stanley Cup on behalf of the Rangers if they were to go on and win the Coveted chalice? Would any games be played at MSG or will it be an Olympic style Hockey village with only a few arenas across North America hosting the playoff games ?
* Tomas Sandstrom was one of the most successful and impactful draft picks in Rangers history notching 173 goals, 208 assists for 381 points during his five and a half year Rangers career.
*Selected in the second round and number 36 overall during the 1982 NHL Draft.
*Earned All Rookie Team honors in 1985.
* Persistent and tenacious grinder and digger for loose pucks he was an annoying presence for Defenseman and Goaltenders alike with his gritty and physical play down low.
* Scored a career high 40 goals for the Rangers during the 1986-87 season.
* Enjoyed five 25 plus goal seasons during his career as a Ranger.
* Earned ALL-Star Team birth as a Ranger in 1988.
* Few players in Rangers and NHL history absorbed more physical punishment and needless injury than Sandstrom.
* Traded by the Rangers along with Tony Granato during the 1989-90 season to the kings for Bernie Nicholls.
* Sandstrom enjoyed his best goal scoring season with the Kings playing on a line with Gretzky and Granato and scored 45 goals in 1990-91.
* Sandstrom was a key cog during the Kings run to the 1993 Stanley Cup finals.
* Earned his only Stanley Cup as a member of the Redwings when he assisted on Darren McCarty's winning goal in 1997.
* Sandstrom also played for the Penguins and Mighty Ducks .
* Could the Rangers have been perennial Stanley Cup contenders if they had kept Sandstrom and other young talent they let get away like Granato, Weight, Amonte and others ?
* Currently ,Sandstom is a firefighter in Sweden.